An important part of our work at Dunnottar Castle is to manage the unique environment we work in.
We are members of the Green Tourism Business Scheme and are the proud owners of a Gold Award, which is the highest award possible.
Both staff and visitors to Dunnottar Castle have a role to play in its protection and preservation.
The team’s green role includes the following initiatives: –
- Working in a socially responsible and ethical manner at all times
- Preservation and protection of all structures within the Castle
- Protection of fauna, flora and wildlife both in and outside of the Castle
- Limiting the amount of waste we produce in our day to day jobs and disposing of it via the appropriate means
- Promoting the local community of Stonehaven to our visitors
- Develop new ideas to improve our environmental impact
- Working within Castle guidelines and systems
Visitors to the Castle can assist in the following ways: –
- Travel to the Castle via foot or by way of public transport where possible
- Follow the Countryside Code – the Countryside Code reminds us all to protect, respect and enjoy: look after plants and animals; leave gates and property as you find them; keep dogs on a leash and consider other people. All the fields and land surrounding Dunnottar are privately owned, please respect and support our local farmers who farm it.
- Take litter away from the Castle for disposal at the recycling area by the car park/Lodge
- Adhere to all restriction notices within the Castle and surrounding grounds
- Stay local, eat local, buy local and see local – there are many excellent establishments in our local town of Stonehaven which have gained a reputation for fine food and local produce. Utilising these facilities will make real difference to local businesses and our local community.